The Vanier Canada Graduate Funding Opportunities (Vanier CGS) program is being offered by the Canadian government in an effort to entice and retain top-tier PhD candidates and position Canada as a global hub of excellence in research and higher education.
Students from all around the world who want to pursue a PhD are eligible for the grant. Vanier Scholars exhibit academic excellence and leadership qualities while pursuing graduate degrees in the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, or health.
Why go to Canada to study? For higher education, picking Canada as a study destination is a wise choice. To promote education in Canada, the Canadian government and institutions provide a variety of financial aid opportunities on a national and international level.
SUMMARY FOR VANIER CANADA GRADUATE INTERNATIONAL AWARDS
- Application Deadline: Applicants must submit all required application materials until November 1, 2022.
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: $50,000 per year
- Number of Awards: Up to 166 opportunities are awarded annually: A total of up to 500 opportunities are active at any time.
- Nationality: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens
- Scholarships can be taken in Canada
Benefits of Canada Graduate international awards: The successful scholars will receive the award amount of $50,000 per year to cover their study expenses in Canada.
To be considered for Canada Graduate international awards, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average, and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Eligible Countries: Canadian and international students can apply for these Vanier Canada graduate funding opportunities.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online. Candidates must be nominated by a Canadian institution with a quota* to host Vanier scholars. Candidates should only seek a nomination from the institution at which they want to study.
Entrance Requirements: Confirm that you and your nominating institution meet all the criteria below before you apply for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS). Nominations that do not meet all the eligibility criteria will not be accepted.
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.